Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Handmade Barbie House out of 70's Speakers - ROOF Progress

Under normal circumstances, I would like to think this handmade Barbie house I have built / re purposed out of old 70's speakers would have, in fact been done by now. However - no babysitter (EVER), makes for me having to stay up in the wee am hours to do this thing with out my daughter sneaking a peak.

See that photo? Let me tell ya, if you guessed, "having to glue tiny dollhouse shingles piece by piece onto a roof" as one of the top 5 things I will NEVER do again; you guessed RIGHT :)


I wanted scalloped shingles for my roof. Lowe's didn't have any - Home Depot didn't either. (frown)

I ventured to Hobby Lobby and found scalloped dollhouse shingles for 9.99 a bag. I had a 40% off coupon so got one cheaper, the other I paid the full price for. - Didn't care, just wanted to finish this, Christmas is in a few days! :/

So I went home, broke out my Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue and started the pain staking process of hand gluing each and every shingle.

OH. MY. GOSH.

5 hours later (spread out over the last two nights)...


It is now 1:30 am and I just finished spray painting it pink! (Left over spray paint from her ceiling fan revamp project I did a year ago).
Oh, how much I love it already!! :) I hope my daughter does also!
I just need to add the back for the attic portion, paint the interior walls tomorrow (well technically tonight) - and then I will lay down the fake dark hardwood flooring. I AM so thrilled!! :D

To read more on this project and see how it started off as old 70's wooden speaker boxes, please click here, and read the list of blogs in that thread.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have the season finale of American Horror Story to watch off DVR :)

2 comments:

  1. It is very nice! I would like it myself and I am 32 years old! :) But then I am and always will be a Barbie lover! You did a great job! I am sure your daughter will appreciate it very much! What an awesome Mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel :)) What a sweet thing to say!

      Delete