Saturday, December 3, 2016

I'm exhausted

As the title suggests, I very literally feel defeated.  Lately scrounging the energy to do day to day things is just so entirely draining. I'm not sure what is going on with me. I think, personally, I am doing to much for one person, but at the same time, I NEED to do everything. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since before I moved to the Wilmington area. I miss home. I think maybe I am home sick.  

I promised I would update on Danny and his Doc Band, so here goes nothing:

We went to the Cranial Technologies on the 29th. I'm not a fan of the 2.5 hour drive, but because I am a fan of Cranial Technologies and their attention to detail and friendly staff, I'd say the drive is well worth it. Seriously.  If you want to be given the run around, in my town, YOU WILL GET IT. If you even suspect your child may have plagiocephaly, or think their head is misshapen, do yourself a favor and make an appointment with Cranial Technologies. The first visit is completely free, they do the scan and let you know what level of severity your child's head is and if you are a candidate for the Doc Band.

They got the ball rolling.

They took care of business. The pediatrician? Run around.
The neurologist? Run around. The Clinic that initially diagnosed him? Run around.
Cranial Technologies? They took care of my son, and for that matter, they took care of me too. They don't know it, but my mental health may have gone into the happy zone for the time being. (ha ha, no really)..

So we get there and the tech puts the helmet on, then he shaves it down some places so it fits better and then he gives us sometime to check if Danny develops any redness and shaves it down some more.  He took the time to show me how to put it on and remove it and was very helpful and patient with me and my redundant questions.

I forgot his name, because, lately I forget everything.  I blame lack of sleep for the last year. 4 hours a night will do that to you.

The Doc Band pushes down one of his eyes, but we were assured this was normal.  He has to wear it 23 hours a day.  The first day we were told to take it off every 3-4 to check for redness.  Thankfully it was golden. 
VERY THANKFUL, because driving that far again to adjust it would have really been tiring and my older children might have hated me.

So every 3-4 hours I removed it, wiped the sweat out, and wiped his head off and then put it back on.

Now my routine is consistent:

Danny gets up in the morning, he eats breakfast with his bottle and I let him play on the floor.  I then remove the Doc Band and clean it with a cotton swab and alcohol. I then dry it out with the cool setting on the hair dryer.  And give Danny his bath and dry his hair really well and let him play again until he's ready to put it back on within the hour.

It's 5 days later and that think is STINKY. It's not the end of the world, putrid. It definitely has a cast smell, but it doesn't look dirty.  Sometimes it's so bad, that even after I SCRUB Danny's head, his hair STILL smells. I end up rubbing baby powder into his hair before reapplying the Doc Band and it usually helps a TON.  I'm not sure they recommend that, but I'm going with it anyway.

We did purchase some decorative vinyl to apply to it, but I need to find time to put it on.

I can tell his head is already starting to fill out. REALLY?! talk about quick results! I'm praying it continues to do it's job and that the eye thing doesn't mess up his eye.

So far, so good.

I'm not going to get into the strange comments I've gotten while out in public. Generally I just go with it. Although, I must say, my favorite was, "Hims is a clumsy baby, hims has to wear a helmet to protect his little clumsy head".  (insert OM Gosh face here).

I think bug looks adorable in his helmet, but I'm partial. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment