Wednesday, February 10, 2016

How to score cheap diapers

As of today I am a very hefty 30 weeks pregnant.  Being this is my third child, I am all to familiar with the expenses involved in raising a new baby. I'm also aware that for the first few months, my children had very sensitive bottoms and I stuck to pampers swaddlers until they outgrew that stage.

After that? It was all about the generic brands.

While browsing the baby isle at local stores, I was shocked to see how much diaper prices have climbed in the last several years since Ethan was a baby.  I have to remind myself nearly 7 years ago was a little long ago. (haha).  But still, The HUGE ECONOMY boxes of pampers for $46 is just SO expensive.

That's when I decided I'd go stalk some places online and see what I could come up with. The $1-$3 off coupons are SUPER, but they aren't that much savings for my frugal budget.

AND THEN I FOUND IT! I was stalking one of my favoite online retailers - Amazon when I was looking at their economy size 1 swaddlers.  This package contains 216 diapers and had a list price similar to wal marts. I scrolled down to where I saw, "New and Used from (price here)" and decided to click on it since lower prices were showing.

That's when I discovered a tab that read: "Open Box" and the price was under $21!! What?!

NO WAY?!  What is this open box deal?  Doing some research I found out that open box deals are sold directly through Amazon Warehouse. They are boxes that come damaged, or returned from a previous purchase.  They are discounted only because of that reason.  At first I kind of debated if I should buy them.  I was worried about contamination, or if the sealed diapers had been damanged.

For the price, however, I was willing to take a gamble. NOTE: Anytime you order more than $35 through select amazon merchandise you get free shipping (which is an added bonus because shipping those heavy suckers isn't cheap).

I ordered 6 boxes under the open box diaper deal from Amazon Warehouse.  So far two of my boxes have arrived.

The verdict?  The boxes had a few scratches, One was a return item, but upon opening the boxes, the diapers were still in their plastic sleeves (COMPLETELY SEALED) and even had the original pampers rewards codes attached.






I AM ECSTATIC!!

I spent $146.24 on 6 Economy boxes of varying sized pampers and when I price matched to Wal Mart, my total would have been $255.95 for the same exact boxes!

I SAVED $109.74!!

I don't think my poor fella has ever seen anyone so excited over diapers.

Below is what I purchased vs. the Wal Mart prices:

AMAZON                           VS                     WAL MART

* Pampers Economy Cruisers
   size 3 (174 count)    $27.31                        $45.97                TOTAL SAVED: $18.66

* Pampers Swaddlers Size 1
   economy (216 count)  $20.87                    $45.12                 TOTAL SAVED: $24.23

* Pampers Swaddlers Size 3
   (162 count)              $27.03                        $45.98                 TOTAL SAVED: $18.95

* Pampers Swaddlers Newborn
   Sensitive (80 count)  $16.98                      $24.94                 TOTAL SAVED: $7.66

* Pampers Baby Dry Size 2
   (222 count)          $26.67                            $46.97                 TOTAL SAVED: $20.30

* Pampers Baby Dry Size 2
   (222 count)         $27.36                             $46.97                 TOTAL SAVED: $19.61
                                                           
                                                           
                                                             Amazon Open Box Deal:

                                           

Wal Mart Price:

To score similar deals you have to search the type of diaper you want.  When you find it, scroll down to New and Used offers.




Click on "Open Box" and IF there is a deal available it will be listed under "Amazon Warehouse" with a MUCH cheaper price than it typically retails for.



I was skeptical, but after receiving my first two boxes, I am sold on this way for the rest of my diaper buying days.

No comments:

Post a Comment